Thursday 30 April 2009

Rants

I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm on the other side of the world or if it's the blatant fact that the American government is in ruins, but I've become enthralled in politics. I miss it, actually. I haven't actually missed politics since I came home from D.C. and the players decided to become partisan protagonists' with their own agendas, but nonetheless, the train wreck that has become our country captivates me. I know that seems harsh, but what happened to the country our Founding Father's fought so gallantly to establish? Obviously the world has changed quite a bit since the mid to late 18th century, but aren't the ideals, supposedly, supposed to be the same? Aren't we supposed to be "the Greatest Country" in the world? Did we not fight for the Bill of Rights? As I read the news, I cringe as I see that little by little each and everyone one of our rights is being threatened. It seems as though the livelihood of the American people is being threatened with an out of control budget and the "left" feeling threatened to the point that they're proposing and backing legislation that could threaten the free speech rights of those that don't agree with the current administration. I wonder too, does everyone think that allowing the government to have so much control, over everything, will actually solve anything? The government has a hard enough time over-sighting the government, let alone, making sure that it can be a health care provider too. The governments bailing out corporations, lending establishments, with money, they don't have, so they're in a sense do the exact same thing that the previously mentioned enterprises engaged in, and yet because they're the government, it's okay-there's irony for you. Why can't we as American citizens, understand that for the government to work efficiently it has to work at the local level and then the state level. The federal government exists only at the leisure of the states. Why is it too, that the American people refuse to get involved, whether it's voting or volunteering, and yet are so quick to blame the government for not solving their problems. This democracy was founded on the basic concept of community and everyone participating. I'm not a fan of Hilary, and this is maybe one of the most over-quoted phrases of the 1990s but "it (does) take a village". The concept of community participation is what democracy is all about, not just voting but for all aspects of life. If we can't effectively keep our communities together and teach our children how to participate, how do we expect our country to survive? I'm part of the small percentage of people that feels our country is heading in the wrong direction. I'm anxious to get back to the States. While I'm enjoying my time abroad I feel completely useless during this heightened political time-we have a new POTUS and a democratic majority in Congress. I want to get involved but am obviously at a loss, and yet, while I wish I were there to get involved and participate more, I'm glad I'm in another country, so that I can avoid our country's messy politics. I think I feel that way because I'm scared of where the U.S. is headed. One more thing... Why do we, American people, put up with the medias tactics of scaring us into believing the world is coming to an end (okay maybe not that extreme, but close enough) due to a flu bug? And while it may be a threatening virus, the CDC has stated that it's treatable via the same drugs that are used when treating a normal flu virus. Why do we stand for this outrageous melancholy to invade or headlines and TV’s? I realize that a lot of people are completely unaware of this nice little ability; we have, called common sense, but start using it! Wash your hands and stop buying into the hype!

No comments:

Post a Comment